Population of Greece

The following article presents some interesting facts and figures regarding the population of Greece.

The 2001 census estimated the population of Greece to be 10,964,020.    It was estimated that 4 million Greeks were living abroad and this included at least 2 million living in America. In terms of sex distribution the male population of Greece in the 2001 census was estimated as 49.49% whilst women make up the rest at 50.51%. The life expectancy of males was estimated as 74.6 years (in 1990) and females 79.40years. In the same census of 2001 it was estimated that 3,192,606 of the population in Greece lived in Athens.    The population of Greece by area according to the 2001 census is as follows:- Urban 58.8.%, Semi-rural 12.8.% and Rural 28.4% In an area of 131.957 (sq.km) the density of the population in Greece was estimated to make up 82.9 per sq. km. Another population density estimate in 1991 put it at 78.1 per sq km. These statistics however, are felt to be misleading as much of the Greek mountainous territory is uninhabited. As far as the actual demographics of Greece are concerned, this relates to the Greek peninsula where the Greek language has been spoken for more than 3500 years. The population in 2004 was estimated at 10,647,529. Where age of the population in Greece is concerned, the percentages were as follows:- 0-14 years, 15-64 years 67% and 65 years and over 18.6%. The Median age for the Greek population was estimated as 40.2 years.  Of this, the median age for males was 39.1 years and 41.3 years for females.  In 2004 the population growth rate was estimated at 0.2%, the birth rate was estimated at 9.73 births per 1,000 population and the death rate was estimated at 10.08 deaths per 1,000 population. The life expectancy of the population of Greece was estimated in 2004 as 78.94 years for the whole population. The gender split for this figure was 76.44 years for males and 81.59 years for females. Since World War 11 the population of Greece has changed geographically with migration from rural areas to urban areas, particularly from Athens to the South and Thessaloniki in the North. The highest rate of population migration occurred between 1950 and 1967.

Rating
( 1 , average 5 from 5 )
Globerove.com