Are you looking for Irish stew recipes? Do you want to know about the many different stew recipes available? Read our guide for more information on choosing the right recipe for your meal…
Different Types of Irish Stew Recipes
Irish stew originated as a satisfying and filling peasant dish made from cheap, locally available vegetables and meat. Potatoes were a staple crop of Ireland, readily available on farms, and thus potatoes feature heavily in any Irish stew recipe. Other root vegetables like carrots and onions are abundantly added, making Irish stew somewhat flavorless. As sheep was the most domesticated animal, lamb Irish stew was the favorite meat stew of the working class.
On the other hand, cows were reared for milk and generally only royalty in the olden days had beef Irish stew. Therefore the recipes for Irish stew calls for various types of meat, including substitutions such as seafood and fowl like duck and chicken.
Irish stew recipes also feature Guinness stout generously mixed into the sauce that’s full of lamb or beef stock and tomato puree. Herbs like rosemary, thyme, basil and dill give a pungent intensity to Irish stew recipes. Parsley is the preferred garnishing for the stew. Gourmet recipes for Irish stew replace white or red wine for Guinness stout, soy and oyster sauce for the broth.
Simple Recipe for Irish Stew
Here is a simple recipe for Irish stew which you can try for a delicious meal:
• 1kg of lamb chops. Skin and trim off the excess fat from the meat, cut into cubes and brown in fat in a large skillet
• 8 large, peeled onions, potatoes and carrots. Cube all the vegetables then add into the skillet with the meat.
• ½ pint of lamb stock, Guinness stout and water. Pour into skillet and cook over a low heat for several hours.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Add herbs like thyme and rosemary. For a more intense taste, mix them in towards the end of the stew cooking process.
• Garnish with chopped parsley.
• Serve hot with Irish soda bread.
Irish stew recipes can now be obtained over the Internet and include any number of variations in ingredients from herbs to wine. Meat and vegetarian Irish stew recipes are available, including fish and fowl. Irish stew is a wholesome meal that is both nutritious and filling that can be enjoyed by the entire family.