French Foreign Legion Recruitment

Want to join the French Foreign Legion? Want to know the recruitment procedures? Our guide gives you the facts & information you want to know.

The French legion is a famous military organization wrapped in mystique. The Legionaries with their familiar white kepis have been a subject of many films, novels renowned for giving men on the run a second chance at redemption. The Legion is renowned for its distinct uniform, songs and bold daring feats. These men are willing to fight and give their lives for France, their adopted home-land. The French foreign legion recruitment procedures follow some basic outlined steps.

The interested candidate wishing to pass through the French foreign legion recruitment process would first have to present himself at any legion recruitment office in France. The candidate undergoes preliminary check-ups and is then transferred to the selection center in Aubagne close to Marseille to undergo further medical, fitness and IQ tests. Upon successful completion of the French Foreign Legion recruitment pre-test he has to sign a five years unconditional contract agreeing to serve wherever the French legion sends him. Any unsuccessful applicant is sent back to civilian life in his country with no compensation.

For the first four months of the five years preliminary service is dedicated to receiving basic military training at the 4th foreign regiment. From here the recruit gets posted to a regiment to serve depending on his skills and the French Foreign Legion needs.
To apply for induction at the French Foreign Legion recruitment center you would need a passport, secondary identification and a French Visa. The French Visa might not be a necessity depending of your country of birth and residence.

To apply at the French Foreign Legion recruitment centre you do not have to be able to speak French. You would however find things easier during the early days of service if you try to learn the basics as the first four months of training would take place in France. After the five year tour of service the legionnaire has the option of applying for French citizenship.

The accepted application age at French Foreign Legion recruitment centers is 17 -40 and only men are accepted. Married men may bring along their wives but during the first 5 year-tour of duty all legionnaires are considered and treated as unmarried.  The French Foreign Legion recruitment centers are all in France and all applicants must travel there at their own expense with no expectation of a refund or compensation. The French Foreign Legion recruitment scheme brings together men from different backgrounds and history to be part of one of the most highly respected military units in the world which is the French foreign legion.

jake says:

are convicted felons taken into consideration? will i even make it through the pre selection? because im 100% positive that if they saw my capabilities im LOCKED IN.

Can anyone help me with answers on visa and applying to Fiji French ambassy for visa for FFL?

DEAN BRITS says:

Good morning my name is dean im 19 years old and i am from south africa i am strugling since january to get connected to the french foreign legion. i read about you a lot and its a passion and a dream to join the legion please if anyone can help me to join i will apreciate it.

dennis kipkorir says:

bonjour ,my name is dennis from kenya ,i read everything about you guys and i must say its really good and helping alot ,how ever i really am intrested in coming to france and join ,please please please ,channge my life once and for good ,as am ready for anything and to serve the french foreign legion for my life,please tell me if it is possible for me to come and join ,am 25 years old 5,6′ inches weighing 64 kgs and healthy with no history of sickness ,no allergies ,no problems healthwise,please reply kindly and i also learnt french in high school so i know something or two ,please help .thanks for what you are doing iys a good thing

Jamal says:

Yes my friend, you are able to enroll into the FFL. but first you need to sit down and think if you want to spend 5 years of life defending french territories. If so, Get a french Visa and go to the recruitment office in Paris, spend a couple of weeks there and pass through the physical and Medical tests. Once you pass that, and if you have a clear history with no Crime records, you have a chance to join the French Foreign Legion. its not easy, so i wish you all the best.

tomasi says:

bonjour i am really interesting in joining french army could anyone gave me an advice coz i really need to join,where and how to get the application,like all that…….i really need your help..ASAP.

stanley says:

hello I am one of the candidate who is interested in joining French army so could any one give me the vital information i need about it? and how to get the form patiently waiting

partha says:

bonjour monsieur! mon nom est Partha et je suis un Indien. Je voulais rejoindre l’armée française pour aider les gens dans différents pays. s’il vous plaît ne me répondre rapidement monsieur.

Rinchen says:

hello I am one of the candidate who is interested in joining French army so could any one can give me some suggestion please how to process .